Turning fifty is a very important phase for most women, they do consider it their milestone or the turning point of their lives.
To some, big changes are happening at this age. It might be the time when their children are all grown-ups, married, or have families of their own. To some, it may be a career change or they`re retired early, or maybe some women are finding a different approach when it comes to their health and wellness.
It is true, that when you turned 50, a lot of changes are happening to your body. Your body can just do so much which is so different when you were younger. This is because of some biological, chemical, and hormonal changes when our body ages which are considered our main health issues.
What are these main health issues?
When a woman turned 50, she may be more or less on the menopause phase. At this stage of a woman`s life, her hormone levels are altered and this can cause unpleasant symptoms such as hot flashes and mood swings.
Another health issues that can be attributed at this time are high blood pressure, heart disease, high sugar levels, and bone density.
Also, during this decade of our lives, we want to take care of our brain to keep our mind sharp.
So most of us, in order to continue our daily healthy life as much as we can, we rely on the right supplements.
Here are the best supplements that I recommend when women turn 50:
1. Consider taking Vitamins and Minerals.
When we reach our prime, it is really essential to take vitamins and minerals. We should supplement our diet with Calcium, Magnesium, Vitamin D and K.
Calcium is needed in our body as we age. This is very important for women over 50 to prevent bone loss and the risk of having osteoporosis.
Working hand in hand with Calcium is Magnesium, which is essential for cardiovascular health and to have a better and normal blood pressure.
For Calcium`s metabolism, we need to take fat-soluble Vitamins D and K.
2. Supplement yourself with anti-inflammatories.
As our body age, we tend to be prone to anything chronic and low-grade systemic inflammation. I think most of us when we reach this stage in our lives we have all these aches and pains on our joints so it is always a must to find cure for this issues.
The best cure for this is Turmeric or even the highly bio-available Curcumin. Curcuminoids in Turmeric slow enzymes that can cause inflammation.
My Recommendation: Nature`s Bounty Turmeric Curcumin
3. Take lots of fibers
I believe that fiber is the most important supplement needed by women over 50. Their benefits include maintaining blood sugar balance, lowering cholesterol, improving cardiovascular health, weight loss, and better gut health. It also helps regulate hormone levels during menopause. Make sure to look for a supplement that has both soluble and insoluble fiber.
My Recommendation: Botanica Research Advanced High Fiber Gummies
4. Take something to keep your mind healthy.
Getting older usually affects our cognitive function which is our concentration and our memory. So, we should keep our brain healthy and our mind sharp.
My Recommendation: Nature’s Bounty Gingko Biloba
5. Consider herbs for hormonal balance.
It is always good to rely on medicinal herbs to use to support hormonal health during this stage of women`s lives. The best herbal supplements include: black cohosh, maca, dong quia, chasteberry, and sage.
- Black Cohosh – binds with estrogen receptors and works great by affecting the neurotransmitters dopamine and serotonin. This reduces hot flashes and night sweats, along with improving mood swings.
- Maca – is a Peruvian adaptogen, which benefits the endocrine and reproductive systems. This boost the production of sex hormones and increase energy and sex drive.
- Dong Quia – is a staple of traditional Chinese medicine which is considered a female ginseng for its energy and mood boosting properties. Dong Quia is recommended for irregular bleeding.
- Chasteberry – or chastree shifts hormone production toward more progesterone and less estrogen through its effect on the hypothalamus (pituitary gland). According to studies, it is effective in reducing breast pain and some other post-menstrual symptoms.
- Sage – is usually used to alleviate hot flashes, sweating, and other menopausal symptoms as a general tonic.
All these herbs can be used as dietary supplements which are available in different forms: powdered whole herb, liquid extracts, and dried extracts in pill form. But you can also find this in some all-in-one herbal blend.
My Recommendation: Botanica Research Menocerin
Even when we reach our prime, we still can live a healthy and fulfilling life. There are ways where we can achieve our maximum health and over all wellness. We can continue to eat healthy and wisely. We can go for an exercise or two. But we make sure we supplement our body with the right kind of nutrition.
I hope these supplements are helpful in what you are looking for. These are the best supplements that I use which are truly very helpful for me in achieving my optimum health. But what`s good for me may not be for you though. What I suggest is for you to consult your doctor first and ask what supplements are best for you.
If you have any thoughts about this article, don`t hesitate to leave a comment:)